KATHMANDU (AFP) – A young man believed by followers to be a reincarnation of Buddha has returned to Nepal's jungles to meditate alone, police said Saturday, as scholars cast doubt on his supporters' claims.
Known as the "Buddha Boy," Ram Bahadur Bomjam, 18, became famous in 2005 after supporters said he could meditate motionless for months without water, food or sleep.
"Bomjam went back into the jungle late Friday and all the devotees have left," police officer Gobinda Kushwaha told AFP from Neejgad, a town in Bara District, 60 kilometres (37.5 miles) south of Kathmandu.
The "Buddha Boy" reappeared earlier this month after supporters said in March 2007 that he was going to meditate for three years in an underground bunker, although he was spotted on two occasions.
For the last 10 days, he has been blessing thousands of devotees who came daily to the site in dense jungle close to Neejgad.
The president of the Nepal Buddhist Council said claims by his supporters that he was a reincarnation of Siddartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism, were not credible.
"We do not believe he is Buddha. He does not have Buddha's qualities," said Mahiswor Raj Bajracharya, president of the Nepal Buddhist Council, a centre for Buddhist study and research in Kathmandu.
BY SAM TAYLOR
- SUNDAY NOV 30 RESIDENT DJ TONY TOUCH & SUPER COOL ...
- BLACK FRIDAY DEALS AWAIT HOLIDAY SHOPPERS!
- THE PANCAKE GALLERY LAUNCH PARTY! NY EDITION @ DEJ...
- NEW FLYER FOR THE LOVE IS LOVE SHOWCASE NOV 24 200...
- LOVE IS LOVE SHOWCASE NOV 24 @ HIGHLINE BALLROOM
- BUDDHA BOY RETURNS TO NEPAL'S JUNGLE
- 4 LITTLE DETAILS MEN NOTICE ABOUT WOMEN
- The Peaceful Warrior of Change-44th President of t...
- Obama Speech on Victory (Part 1)
- Obama Speech on Victory (Part 2)
- Obama Speech on Victory (Part 3)
- Obama Speech on Victory (Part 4)
- THE RETURN OF DEJA'VU!!! @ ELEMENT *DJ DP ONE* THU...
- ▼ November (13)