President Barack Obama, the newly sworn in 44th President of the United States, waves as he and his wife …
Slideshow: President Barack Obama
Play Video Celebrity Video: Obamas Dance The Night Away; Chicagoans Emotional CBS 2 Chicago
Play Video Celebrity Video: Stars Come Out For Obama's Inaugural Balls CBS4 Miami
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Barack Obama, fresh from the pageantry of his historic inauguration, will turn on Wednesday toward his goals of rescuing the economy, charting a new course for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and shaping his approach to the Middle East conflict.
Obama has pledged bold and swift action to deal with the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. He has also asked Americans for patience in grappling with challenges both foreign and domestic that will take time to resolve.
With financial markets reeling and job losses mounting, Obama will meet with his economic advisers, who are working with the Democratic-led Congress on an $825 billion fiscal stimulus package.
He also is seeking fresh approaches to repair the battered financial system and is mulling a host of ideas, including the creation of a government-run bank that would buy up toxic assets from ailing U.S. banks.
The aim is to rekindle the flow of the credit to the economy so businesses and consumers can get access to loans.
Iraq and Afghanistan will dominate Obama's foreign policy agenda, but he has also said he will take an active role to try to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
He may move quickly to name a Middle East envoy and is strongly .
By Caren Bohan
- PIN NUMBER REVERSAL : A SECRET CALL FOR A HELP
- SUNDAY JAN. 25TH TONY TOUCH & GUEST DEEJAY FILSONI...
- RING OF FIRE : SOLAR ECLIPSE BEST VIEW NEAR INDIAN...
- WHERE YOU WON'T SHOP IN 2009
- 200 CITIES FOR $200 (OR LESS)
- YOUR DAILY HOROSCOPE - Wedneday, January 21, 2009
- AFTER HISTORIC DAY OUR 44TH PRESIDENT... MR OBAMA ...
- YOUR DAILY HOROSCOPE - Tuesday, January 20, 2009
- 6 Jobs That Thrive When the Economy Falters
- YOUR DAILY HOROSCOPE - Friday, January 2, 2009
- ▼ January (10)